Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our School History began in 1921

The Chevallum State School shares in a history of great distinction, and today's pupils may fittingly take pride in that history. They may also be confident that each will be given the opportunity to reach their individual potential and so add to the distinction of their school and state. From small beginnings in the 1920’s Chevallum State School has grown to be a leading light in distinctive educational practices. With our multi-age philosophy we have become the school of choice for many families from across the Sunshine Coast who are seeking an school providing quality teaching and learning enriched by a caring and inclusive environment.
 

TIMELINE -  CHEVALLUM STATE PRIMARY SCHOOL 
1920’s – 1930’s
  • 22nd March, 1919 Petition sent to Minister of Education by the residents of the Chevallum area to press for the erection of school.
  • 24th April, 1919 Public Meeting held to form Building Committee. June, 1920 District Inspector Mr. Benbow visited the area. He recommended the establishment of a school. Mr. Phil Marshall offered two acres of land on the Corner of Ilkley and Forest Glen Roads.
  • 14th July, 1921 Social and dance held in Palmwoods to raise funds.
  • 23th Sept., 1921 School officially opened by Mr. J. Huxham, Minister for Public Instruction. It was built at a cost of 502 pounds.
  • 7th Oct., 1921 Miss Peggy Hastings appointed as first teacher
  • 31st Oct., 1921 Chevallum State Primary School commenced the first of its fifty years service to education with 12 students and Miss Peggy Hastings as a teaching Principal.
  • 12th Nov., 1921 A meeting was held in the afternoon to form a school committee.
  • 18th Nov., 1921 Social and dance held in the school to welcome Miss Hastings.
  • 2nd   Dec., 1921  First inspection of school. 8 boys and 5 girls were present on the day.
  • 10th March, 1922   Play shed completed by voluntary labour. As you see the importance of volunteer parents is long standing within school communities.
  • 30th June, 1922 First Arbor Day was held.
  • 9th May to 22nd August 1924 , Chevallum  functioned as a Half Time School with the teacher at Ilkley Mr. Walter T. Jeremy, spending one week at Ilkley and the next at Chevallum.
  • 29th July, 1926  First Library Books ordered.
  • 1926 Tennis Court established.
  • 14th Nov., 1927 The Library had 50 books.
  • 13th Sept., 1934 Strawberry Project Club formed.
 
1940’s – 1950’s – 1960’s                  
  • 1941 Fern House built out of bush timber by the students and the teacher Mr. G.T. Madden.
  • 1945-1946 A building comprising one (1) 18 feet by 18 feet classroom and two (2) 18 feet by 8 feet verandas was moved from Mount Mellum by John Cowell.
  • 13th July 1946  Official Opening of second building by Sir Francis Nicklin.
  • October, 1946 25th Anniversary Fete held in the school grounds.
  • 27th June, 1947 First of 6 forestry plots planted the last one being planted in 1968
  • 1948 Radiogram installed.
  • In the 1950’s Primary School went up to Yr 8 and External Scholarship Exams were available for those who were seen as being able to pass.
  • 4th Dec. 1956 Movie Projector bought.
  • In the 1960’s Scholarship Exams were abolished and to undertake Teacher Training only a Junior Pass was required.
 
1970’s
  • 30th October, 1971 50th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS HELD IN THE SCHOOL GROUNDS
  • Strawberry motif adopted to be used on uniform
 
1980’s
  • Motto – “Individuals Learning Together” adopted by school
  • First official “Strawbfest”
  • Start of a 16 year tradition of Champion Softball Teams
  • Chevallum breaks new ground by becoming one of the first primary schools to begin Italian classes as part of the LOTE Curriculum (Languages Other Than English)
  • 1987 Move to current school site
  • 1989 Chevallum first primary school in Queensland to undertake an overseas exchange to Italy
 

1990’s
  • We host our Italian sister school staff and students for an educational exchange
  • 1996  75th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS HELD IN THE SCHOOL GROUNDS
 
2000’s
  • 2004 new WOOSH (Wonderful Outside School Hours Care) building is officially opened
  • 2010 new Multipurpose Hall and Library opened under the BER federal government funding
  • 2010 Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden and Kitchen officially opened
  • 2012 A Time Capsule prepared by students from Family A is buried beside the Library verandah.